More than the Facts: How Catholic Studies Complements Elementary Education – Catholic Studies Blog
Student Profiles

More than the Facts: How Catholic Studies Complements Elementary Education

Sheila

My final semester of college strays far from that “ideal” schedule every freshman dreams of—only 3 classes, plenty of naps, no 8:00am’s, not having to walk to South campus.  Instead, I wake up in time to pray Morning Prayer with the women I live with and am out the door  every day by 7:15am.  With my coffee in hand, I walk four blocks to St. Mark’s School where I spend the entire day student teaching. 

After a packed four years, I am greatly anticipating my college graduation in May.  Not because of the heavy course load or the late nights and early mornings, but simply because I am ready for the next step.  I am graduating with a double major in Catholic Studies and Elementary Education as well as a minor in Spanish.  So, you want to be a religion teacher in a Catholic School? This is the question everyone seems to ask me in an automatic response once they hear what I am studying.  My answer? Maybe. 

Especially with my experience at St. Mark’s, I would consider myself extremely blessed if I find a job for next year teaching in a Catholic School – religion teacher or not. Though, my intention of studying Catholic Studies alongside Elementary Education was not driven by the intention to become a religion teacher.  The Catholic Studies program has provided me with so much more.  Studying many of the Church’s aspects, such as its history, philosophy, art, and teaching, has challenged me to grow both intellectually and spiritually.  It also blessed me with the opportunity to study at one of the major pontifical universities in Rome for a semester, alongside religious sisters, brothers, priests, and seminarians of the Catholic Church from all regions of the world.  Its universal call and mission finally have become tangible to me.  It is real. It is truth.  Catholic Studies has given me the formation to live out my life as a Catholic and to live it out well. 

This may lead me to become a religion teacher, but it may not.  The Church is in great need of faithful Catholics in all areas of the workplace, especially in our schools.  Among a relative culture, the Church needs witnesses to bring truth.  Catholic Studies has allowed me to see my other major in a fuller perspective.  To me, being a teacher means more than teaching the facts.  I want to teach my students how to think.  It pushes me to practice a comprehensive approach in which I dare my students to excel academically as well as morally and spiritually.

Catholic Studies has prepared me to leave college and enter the next chapter of my life as a teacher.  I didn’t know it as a freshman, but as a senior in my final semester, I am currently living my ideal class schedule—just differently than I had imagined. My identity is in the Lord, and it is all for the praise of His glory. 

Written by:  Sheila, Catholic Studies and Elementary Education double-major, Spanish minor