Meet Our Graduate Students: Marilyn Burnett – In Context
Graduate Student

Meet Our Graduate Students: Marilyn Burnett

Marilyn Burnett is currently in her second year in the M.A. Art History and Museum Studies certificate program. 

What did you do professionally before this? How has that helped you in the program?

I have a broad business background in program management and IT. This experience helped me to be able to jump into a new program and systems and be comfortable negotiating the assignments and software.

What drew you to the University St. Thomas Art History M.A. Program?

I started with the Certificate in Museum Studies because St. Thomas was the only one to have this as a standalone program. I have enjoyed these studies and have chosen to continue on to finish my M.A.

What advice would you give someone thinking of applying to the St. Thomas Graduate Art History/Museum Studies Certificate program?

I started in the spring semester and I missed the introductory Methods class and some other things. You can definitely make it work, but if you possibly can, I would recommend starting in the fall.

What are you currently interested in?

I am interested in the idea of “Otherness,” how it is portrayed in art and how artists are re-appropriating stereotypical images from the past with new meaning and identity.

How are your classes going? What have been your favorites?

I have really enjoyed both seminars last spring as they have explored the idea of how “Otherness” appears in the art from a postcolonial standpoint.

What has been your biggest challenge?

The biggest challenge is probably not having the Methods class to introduce some of the theories and best ways to do things. It just means a little more reading!