Meet Our Graduate Students: Brittany Plachecki – In Context
Graduate Student, Museum Studies

Meet Our Graduate Students: Brittany Plachecki

Brittany is currently in her first semester in the M.A. Art History/Certificate in Museum Studies. She is enrolled in Methodology and Approaches of Art History and Museum Studies II: Collections, Curation, and Controversy.

Where did you go as an undergrad and what did you study?

As an undergraduate, I went to the Kansas City Art Institute (KCAI). I have my degrees in art history and illustration. In addition, I have a certificate of specialization in Asian art.

What was your career before you decided to switch gears and get your M.A. in Art History and Certificate in Museum Studies?

I am a freelance illustrator, but I work full-time at a screen-printing facility as a graphic designer.

What drew you to the University St. Thomas?

This was the closest school that offered the program. I also went here during the graduate symposium last September. That way I could talk to Heather Shirey (Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies) and get a feel for the department. I even talked to some of my professors from KCAI if they had heard anything about St. Thomas. They had good words about the school. One of the teachers whose opinions I value the most mentioned how she loved this school.

What advice would you give someone thinking of applying for the joint M.A. in Art History and Museum Studies Certificate program at St. Thomas?

I would tell them to make sure they are super dedicated because the workload is intense. I work full time, I freelance, travel and do two classes – it’s a lot. Just make sure you’re invested in it.

What are you currently interested in?

My favorite things to study are social climates in art and how they influence paranormal art. My favorite focus has been Japanese woodblock prints from the Ukiyo-e period, particularly focusing on their yōkai prints because as the political climate changes you see a difference in what kind of art is being produced and what kind of stories people are being told. I am really interested in that.

How are your classes this semester?

I think my classes are going well. My methods class is good – assignments and discussions have been good. 

What has been your biggest challenge?

My biggest challenge has been learning how to balance everything. Also, reading critically. I’ve realized having discussions in class that I tend to take a lot of things at face value. I’ve had to teach myself to criticize the readings because normally I just read and think, yeah that’s the facts. I have had to retrain myself to read. This has been the most difficult for me.