Memorial of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton – Seasonal Reflections
Christmas

Memorial of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton

Readings: Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, Religious | USCCB 

Today, I had the opportunity to reflect on the life and legacy of a remarkable woman, Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.  Like many of us, Elizabeth faced plenty of hardships, yet those challenges did not define her, and it is a good reminder for us that our hardships do not define us.  Instead, these experiences can be catalysts for growth & resiliency and give us a unique opportunity to support and uplift others going through similar hardships. 

As I was reminded of the life of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, I was struck by her dedication to education. Founding the Sisters of Charity and establishing the first Catholic school in the United States, she recognized the transformative power of education in shaping individuals and communities. This commitment to learning and service continues to resonate and encourages me to consider how I can contribute to the well-being of others.  

It reminds me to appreciate this unique season of life that I find myself in.  To express my gratitude for being at the University of St Thomas at this moment and time.  A place where I have been challenged, where I have grown, where I have made connections, and continue to have the opportunity to advance the common good. 

In commemorating Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, I find encouragement to continue to strengthen my faith, to view challenges as opportunities for growth, and to seek ways to impact the lives of those around me positively. May her example inspire a deeper commitment for all of us. 

Dustin Killpack, Associate Director for the Center for Common Good  

The Campus Ministry Seasonal Reflections are offered during the liturgical seasons of Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter. We bring a variety of voices from Students, Faculty and Staff. The perspectives expressed in these reflections are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of Campus Ministry