Meet Our Graduate Students: Jason Burnett – In Context
Graduate Student

Meet Our Graduate Students: Jason Burnett

Jason Burnett is currently in his second year in the M.A. Art History program. This fall, he is enrolled in Museum Studies: Collections, Curation, and Controversy.

Where did you go as an undergraduate and what did you study?

Both as an undergraduate and for my Master’s degree, I went to the University of New Orleans. I studied English History primarily. My Master’s Thesis was on English Educational Policy from 1901-1905.

Since you obtained your M.A. in History, how has that helped you in the program and how is it different from Art History?

It has given me research skills. That part is all familiar to me. I went from years skipping the pictures and now I get to look at the pictures, and that is the more important part. In Art History, I find we are asking more subjective questions than we asked in regular History. More looking into what was life actually like, what was actually happening back then to more ordinary people.

What drew you to the University St. Thomas Art History M.A. Program?

I met Jayme Yahr, Assistant Professor and Director, Graduate Certificate in Museum Studiesat a Minnesota Association of Museums event, and we talked about the program. I came out to St. Thomas, and she took me on a tour of the campus. I thought this is great, and I signed up.

What advice would you give someone considering the St. Thomas M.A. in Art History and Museum Studies Certificate?

I would definitely say come check it out. I think it’s a really great program and I would recommend it.

What are you currently interested in?

Recently I have become interested in Surrealism.  Whenever I get some free time, I have been doing some reading on that.

How are your classes going? What have been your favorites?

They are going really well.  I feel like I am learning a lot. All the professors have been great.

What has been your biggest challenge?

Just getting used to being in school again. I had been out for a while after getting my Master’s in History. I wasn’t used to having to study anymore. Now coming back, I have to relearn all those habits.