Meet Your Blogger: Amanda

Hello, everyone! My name is Amanda and I am the new Graduate Assistant for OISS. I will be starting the Leadership in Student Affairs program in the Fall and I am incredibly excited to be working in OISS!!! I am originally from outside Chicago and have been teaching both in the States and abroad the last 5 years.

I completed my undergraduate degree in History with a minor in Psychology from California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, CA in 2012. I also had the opportunity to be an international student in Prague, Czech Republic in 2010 while completing my undergrad degree. After college, I completed my teaching certificate while working at schools outside Chicago and abroad!

I worked as a Global Studies Coordinator/teacher outside Chicago form 2012-2014 and then decided to get out of the States and teach English in Khon Kaen, Thailand for a semester! I taught kindergarten and absolutely LOVED my experience there and only wish I could have stayed longer! I met amazing people there and am still really close with my friend/coordinator there (she even visited me in Colombia this past year)!

After I returned to the States I completed my teaching certification with jobs in Nashville and outside Chicago and then got the travel itch again! This time I went to Pereira, Colombia and taught English at a public high school for a year! It was absolutely the BEST experience of my life! I totally fell in love with Colombia culture and my students there. Me encanta Colombia!

I am so excited to bring my background and experiences abroad to this job and get to know all of our students and UST staff! I am super extroverted and LOVE to chat so please feel free to come say hi anytime!

-Amanda, OISS