Royal Day Trip to Windsor – Tommie Blogs
Kate '18

Royal Day Trip to Windsor

I am completely infatuated by the Royal family of England and take every opportunity I can to visit the different residences, soak up all the family history and I may even be Kate Middleton’s biggest fan. My favorite new character in the Royal family is American actress, Meghan Markle, who is dating Prince Harry and has been photographed numerous times with him in London throughout the last couple of months. The mother of the Royal family is nonetheless, Queen Elizabeth II, and at almost 91 years of age, she is still enjoying every minute of her reign. Her Royal Highness spends quite a bit of time and almost every weekend at Windsor Castle, which is located just 25 miles from her main residence in London, Buckingham Palace.

img_5172

Leaving the hustle of London’s busy streets felt like such an escape as I made my way into the quaint little town of Eton and then crossed over the River Thames into Windsor. My first stop was at Eton College which is a boarding school for pupils aged 13-18. The school was founded by King Henry VI and considered to be the most elite boarding school in all of England grooming young pupils to embark into society as distinguished individuals. I found the school particularly interesting because Princes William and Harry attended school here growing up (I even saw the dormitory they lived in!) and 21 of England’s previous Prime Ministers are alumni as well.

img_5182

img_5184

img_5186

On to Windsor Castle! Looming over the town and quite impressive in structure, Windsor Castle is to this day, the world’s oldest and largest occupied castle. As I walked through the massive gates of the castle, I felt  like a member of the Royal family, and of course, I had my eyes peeled for the Queen and Prince Phillip. I was blown away by St. George’s Chapel inside the castle walls as well as the State Rooms which still host Royal functions today. Day trips throughout England always fill my mind with so much history and leave my heart with a deeper appreciation this beautiful country- I truly enjoyed every minute of my Royal experience today!

img_5192

img_5189

img_5202

img_5203

img_5213