One Borough at a Time – Tommie Blogs
Kate '18

One Borough at a Time

I firmly believe travel is what you make of it. Each person has different perceptions of what this might consist of, but I personally love days filled with adventure, yet laid back enough to actually enjoy what you are seeing and doing. Today was one of those days, and I can honestly say I enjoy every minute of it.

img_1848

This morning I met up with 5 other girls and we had a day packed with sight seeing, delicious food and experiencing unique nooks and crannies of London! Our delightful group started at Portobello Market and meandered our way through the food, jewelry, clothing and leather stalls. I am a sucker for markets, and while Portobello was not my personal favorite, it is iconic and well worth the journey. Portobello is also tucked into Notting Hill, which is an area famous for the Notting Hill movie as well as the bright and pastel colored buildings.

img_1839

I don’t know if you have ever seen London from a bird’s eye view, but it’s incredible and completely worth the journey up to the top of Sky Garden which is located on the 34th level of the 20 Fenchurch Street skyscraper. The architecture is quite impressive and the view of London is astonishing- Saint Paul’s Cathedral and the Tower of London are just a couple of the impressive ariel views.

img_1846

img_1854
img_1879
img_2819
img_1893
img_1901

Milkshakes on milkshakes on milkshakes! I don’t think I have ever been this excited to try a dessert in my entire life! Molly Bakes is a gourmet milkshake shop famous for their over the top milkshake creations! Needless to say, these were delicious and don’t worry, we split because they were very tasty, yet massive!

img_1949
img_3636
img_1927
fullsizerender-4
img_1919

Who doesn’t love the Parent Trap?? The 1998 version of the Parent Trap movie, starring Lindsay Lohan, has a famous scene where Annie and Hallie’s mom lives in an iconic London home. The actual house still stands today and can actually be located amongst the streets of London. Located just a couple of blocks from Harrods, the neighborhood is considered to be a rather upscale area and 23 Egerton Terrace, Kensington is definitely the most gorgeous and well maintained house on the block. It was surreal standing in front because the movie was very popular when I was growing up and I can easily replay the scene over and over in my head as Lindsay Lohan opens the door for the first time to meet her mother in the film.

img_1957
img_1962-1

I am a huge fan of the royal family of England and if I were to ever meet Kate Middleton, I would probably faint. Today I actually went to Kensington Palace where William and Kate live. While I didn’t exactly see either of them, I was hopeful they were inside the gorgeous brick walls having tea together. While very beautiful, Kensington Palace is quite different than what I expected. I was surprised that the palace is actually nestled into a rather quiet and remote area of London right next to Kensington Gardens.

img_2010
img_2008
img_2002
img_1980
img_1988
img_1981

London is incredible and I am extremely blessed to be here for an entire semester. It is really special to explore the different boroughs of London you normally wouldn’t get to experience on a vacation. I have a long bucket list of things to do still in my time remaining, so stay tuned for more London adventures!