Thank You St. Thomas for Giving Me the World- Bonjour, Paris  – Tommie Blogs
Kate '18

Thank You St. Thomas for Giving Me the World- Bonjour, Paris 

Paris was absolutely incredible and I honestly loved every minute of my time spent there. I wish I could explain to you how beautiful I thought Paris was because my pictures don’t even do it justice.

As the City of Love, Paris is stunning and has so much to offer. There was so much I wanted to do in Paris, and truly not enough time to do it all. I went to the Notre Dame Cathedral, The Arc de Triomphe, enjoyed the River Seine’s unique views of the city on a sunset boat cruise, shopped the Avenue des Champs-Elysées and explored a local market. I experienced three incredible museums: the Musee D’Orsay, the Louvre and the Picasso Museum, which were hands down my favorite part of Paris.

Our group had a French dinner at a cafe near by our hotel in the Bastille neighborhood. French dinners are viewed as more of a social outing, and this meal lasted over three hours and consisted of absolutely delicious food and drinks. I had “timbale de saumon fumé à la purée d’avocat et son sorbet citron” for my entrée, “piéce du boucher poéleé, sauce poivre, frites maison et salade verte” and for dessert, “moelleux tiéde au chocolat, aux amandes et ses sauces.” All of the food was incredible and much needed after a long day of travel. I truly had the best night talking and laughing all of my closest friends right next to me in Paris.

Naturally, I completely fell in love with the Eiffel Tower itself and viewed it both during the day and at night. At night, I actually went all the way to the top and looked over the city all lit up. The Eiffel Tower “sparkles” each hour for 5 minutes when it’s dark out and seeing it sparkle from afar is truly breathtaking. The Eiffel Tower was more amazing than I ever could have imagined.

I also took an incredible trip out to Versailles which is about 12 miles out of Paris and toured the palace as well as it’s gorgeous Gardens. Louis the XIV apparently envisioned this incredible palace, Louis the XV enjoyed it and Louis the XVI had to pay for it with the French Revolution. The palace is absolutely over the top and completely gorgeous from floor to ceiling, and every square inch in between.

There is a French cafe on just about every single corner on the streets of Paris. I had an amazing meal and just embraced the French mentality of lingering and enjoying life pass by. The city itself is dirty, but it feels almost like being in a fairytale because your surroundings are so picturesque.

I was surprised by how easy it was to get to Paris by taking Eurostar- it is only about a two hour train ride from London to Paris. The language barrier was not too big of an issue either. I honestly only know two french words- “bonjour” and “merci,” but I got by well enough and quite a few of the French people actually speak English as well. It felt quite strange returning to London and referring to it as “going home.” I truly enjoyed every minute in Paris and the trip almost felt like I was living in a fairytale because I just had such an phenomenal time!

9/25/16
Paris, France

img_0736

img_0763

img_0755

img_0753

img_0735

img_0765

img_0759