A Letter to Future College Freshman – Tommie Blogs
Kate '18

A Letter to Future College Freshman

Dear College Freshman,

I was exactly where you are now 2 years ago. I was a high school senior, who was ready to be done with high school, and very excited (but also very nervous) about starting my future. With the rapidly approaching college deadline, also known as “decision day” there is a lot of pressure to choose a school that is perfect for you. It is very important to closely consider all of the schools on your list, and yes, it’s scary, but your choice of school to attend will impact you for the rest of your life. The education and opportunities you will be receiving in the next 4 (or more) years will shape you into a person who is ready to embark and step foot into the “real world.”

This is one of my all time favorite quotes:

“They say that a goal without a plan is just a dream.”

To me, college was always part of the plan, but the dream was attending St. Thomas. From day one of my college search, St. Thomas stood out to me and no other school even came close in comparison. Sure, I submitted applications and toured other schools, but I knew I had to make St. Thomas my reality. I can actually say it was the perfect match for me.

I could go on and on about the reasons why I love St. Thomas. I have experienced things here at St. Thomas that I could have never even dreamed of, and here are just a few of my favorites:

1.) This fall I will be studying abroad in London for the semester!!!

2.) I attended a St. Thomas dinner held by CEOs in the Twin Cities- this networking event was great for meeting people, establishing connections, and learning business etiquette. Not to mention, the CEO at the table gave me 4 lower level Wild Tickets!

3.) My freshman year, Piper Chapman spoke at St. Thomas about her book and popular Netflix series, Orange is the New Black

4.) My sophomore year, the attorney in the Steven Avery/Brendan Dassey case, and the well known show, Making a Murderer spoke at the St. Thomas Law School

5.) I have the pleasure of writing blogs for the university!!!

6.) I modeled for the university in images used in the rebranding.

7.) The Twin Cities area is amazing- there is so much to do here, I could never be bored.

Choosing a college is very difficult, and it may be one of the biggest choices you will ever have to make. I turned my dream of attending St. Thomas into my reality with persistent hard work, fervor, and by the gracious help of my family. It took a lot of hard work to get to where I am now, but in the end, it was all worth it. I am so excited for my future, and because of St. Thomas, I know that I am starting out on the right path.

Best of luck with your college decision.

Sincerely,

Kate Drankoff- St. Thomas class of 18’

st-thomas-kate-pic

Visiting St. Thomas my senior year of high school

A recent photo of my family at St. Thomas