Hello! – Tommie Blogs
Liz '17

Hello!

Hello WordPress World!

My name is Liz and I am a junior at St. Thomas! I am originally from Northern Illinois where I grew up with my mom (Robin), dad (Marty), and two brothers. My older brother Chris is 24 and lives in Arizona whee he is going to school to get his masters degree. My younger brother is 16 and a junior in high school.

I love St. Thomas, and three years ago when I made the decision to attend this school, I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into, but wow am I happy with my decision. I love being involved with everything I possibly can, if there were more hours in the day, I would do even more. One of my favorite things that I am involved in is the jobs I have here on campus. I work for the office of admission as a tour guide, and man do I love that job! The fact that I get paid to walk around campus, and talk to people, is just perfect for me. Not to mention the fact that I have the potential of making a huge impact on the prospective students and their decision to attend St. Thomas or not. I also work at Tommie Central in the Anderson Student Center, which is also so much fun for me. I love being in the know of all things going on in the student center, whether that be tickets that are going to be going on sale soon or new renovations that will be taking place in the upcoming months. I also really like being in the central part of campus, because you get to see so many people that you might not normally see since everyone is always walking through that building and past our desk.

During the weekends, I like to do as much as I can, which should be no surprise. This weekend was a perfect example of that! I started Friday morning with a meeting, then a visit to Children’s Hospital of St. Paul, where I volunteer every week! I got to end the day with a trip to Mendota Heights to watch the men’s hockey team win their first home game vs. Gustavus. It was such an exciting game!!! They were down 2-1 at the start of the third period. With less than two minutes left in the game, the crowd started to go wild because St. Thomas had just tied up the game! Gustavus then pulled their goalie with less than a minute to go in the game. The Tommies had the puck and ended up scoring with less than 30 seconds left in the entire game to win 3-2! Wow, let me just tell you it got my heart rate up that’s for sure!!!

Most people would have ended their night there, but not me. On Friday night, well Saturday morning I got the privilege to ‘Stay Up Til Dawn’.  Up Til Dawn is an event where college students sacrifice a night of sleep to help raise money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. The night consisted of many different events ranging from a dance party, to lots of food to eat, to gingerbread house building, to a scrub fashion show. It was definitely worth the night of sleep that I lost. Our goal this year, was to raise $75,000 for St. Jude. By the end of the night, our grand total came to $75,064!!! WE REACHED OUR GOAL!!! Despite the fact that everyone was exhausted from not sleeping, the explosion of cheers that broke out in the McCarty Gym here at St. Thomas at 5:45 AM was amazing. Often times I think that college students are given a bad reputation for only wanting to drink, party, and not worry about anyone but themselves. But man is that not true! This night really showed me that no matter who we are, if we have a goal and put everything into reaching that goal, amazing things can happen! So glad that I stayed Up Til Dawn (quite literally) this year, and I can’t wait to do it again next year!

10309176_856109254402792_36703246768391373_n   Here is a picture of my family. From left, Matt (16), Robin (mom), Chris (24), Me (20), Marty (dad). This picture was take at Chris’s graduation from the University of Missouri in May of 2014.

151113_M_HOCKEY13-620x686 Tommies rally after scoring to tie up the game! (Photo by Tommie Media 11-13-15)

File_003 St. Jude Up Til Dawn photo booth with my friend Liz!

Next Post