UST Student Profile – Jonathan Hines, LEED-accredited Project Engineer – Real Estate Matters
UST Class Profile, UST Student Profile

UST Student Profile – Jonathan Hines, LEED-accredited Project Engineer

The UST Opus College of Business Master’s in Real Estate program welcomes the new class to the 2012-2013 academic year!  Take a look at a brief snapshot of the students in this year’s class.

NAME: Jonathan Hines

What is your educational background and experience?

I received a B.S. degree in Civil Engineering in 2008 from Iowa State University.  I currently work for a large Minneapolis based construction manager and developer.  Before coming to the Twin Cities, I worked as a Project Engineer for the same company out of the Chicago office for 3.5 years.

Why did you choose the MSRE program at UST?

I chose the MSRE program at UST because I was looking for a local established real estate program that provided exemplary opportunities to connect with local real estate professionals, real estate developers and would allow my career to come full circle, that is to have an experience that has included knowledge about development, civil engineering, design phase management and construction management.

What are your future career goals?

I intend to specialize in real estate development and focus my career on finding local development opportunities in various markets.  I hope to support these development opportunities by managing the full scope of a project including; site selection, programming, design phase management, owner representation and eventually using my construction management background to transition these development projects to be operated by a property management staff or new perspective owners.

As you enter the MSRE program, what aspect of the program are you most excited about?

I am most excited to network with local real estate professionals and gain more knowledge on the local market as part of the MSRE mentor program and executive insight series.

What do you enjoy most about the real estate industry?

I enjoy the true nature of risk vs. reward involved in real estate and real estate development industries.  There are so many factors that require precise analysis and decision making that allow for real estate professionals and specifically real estate developers to be successful and profitable.

What is your favorite non-real estate pastime and why?

I love snowboarding!  Snowboarding allows me the opportunity to travel to exciting destinations, take risks and meet new people that enjoy winter sports as much as I do.

What is your favorite local development and why?

My favorite local development is The Carlyle, located in the Mill City District in downtown Minneapolis.  Having lived in Chicago and having toured various condo projects, I can say that this condo development project sets a standard of downtown condo living in Minneapolis that was unmatched at the time of its completion, and today still remains in high demand.  I also revere this project because it was planned, programmed and built by a local developer/construction manager which mirrors my future career aspirations.  The local developer involved in this project is extremely important because more and more out of state developers are seeing opportunities in the greater Minneapolis/St. Paul area.  I enjoy seeing local development profits stay local and benefit the great people of Minnesota rather than be shipped out of state.