According to Bloomberg News & Economics, “the U.S. economy is settling into a more moderate pace of improvement as hiring, spending and travel remain constrained by Covid-19.” The big question for job seekers is – who is hiring right now? In any recessionary economy, some industries will do better than others. Therefore, Metro Areas that include a wide variety of employers tend to work through challenging times better than cities that rely on one major industry for their economic health. In general, Twin Cities’ employers come through recessions well because we do have variety moving our economic engine forward.
This article will share information about industries and jobs in demand from national, State of Minnesota, and St. Thomas Career Center job board sources. NOTE: The COVID-19 pandemic is constantly evolving, creating ever-changing conditions within industries and the job market. Therefore, the below could be subject to change, and you could find conflicting information from other sources.
At this moment in the Coronavirus pandemic, the following industries are doing fairly well: accounting & business services, retail, technology, financial services and banking. Below is a longer list of industries that seem to be in good shape at the moment.
- Tech companies, esp. social media, communications platforms, online learning, virtual communities, cloud & web-based software
- Computer Hardware
- Financial Services, esp. banks
- Shipping & Logistics (e.g. FedEx, UPS, etc)
- Delivery Services
- Healthcare (acute care, Personal Care Attendants, mental health services)
- Food production & Grocers
- Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) manufacturers
- Manufacturing – select (e.g. paper products, recreation vehicles)
- Retail – select (e.g. Online retailers, hardware/home improvement, building & landscaping supplies, home exercise equipment, biking equipment)
- Home Services/Trades – home improvement, building, landscaping services
Type of work available –
- Healthcare – PCA, nursing, mental health
- IT/Software developers
- Marketing & Public Relations
St. Thomas Career Center Job & Internship Listings – In order by demand*:
- Engineering (all types, including software)
- IT – Systems/Database/Security
- Administrative Support
- Communications – Journalism/Media
- Health/Medical Services
*Each category has between 25 – 56 positions connected to them as of October 14, 2020.
- Small businesses have taken a hit.
- Employers in industries such as Health Care (select roles), Retail, Food Service, and Transportation (drivers) are desperate for workers.
Top Jobs in Demand in Minnesota:
- CNA/Nursing Assistants, RN, PCA, Home Health Aide, LPN
- Supervisor of retail workers, and retail sales clerks
- Truck driver
- Software developer, software engineer, systems analyst
- Food prep/food service worker & supervisors
- Social & Human Service Assistants
- Customer Service Representative
- Production worker/machine operator & Supervisors
- Delivery driver
- Supervisor of administrative staff
*Not a complete list, see link to Minnesota CareerForce site above.
A strategic search is often the most effective. Hopefully, there is something here that gives you some ideas. Sometime in 2021, we should see more areas open up again! All the best!