Did you know you can intern abroad and gain both valuable work experience AND academic credit? TODAY at 12:00 in MHC 124 the Office of Study Abroad and Career Development will guide you through the ins and outs of international internship opportunities, and how to make it a reality for you! RSVP Here!
With the Job & Internship Fair just around the corner, Career Center staff are focusing on helping students with quick questions (10-15 minutes) about their resume and/or the fair most of the day Monday and Tuesday, February 24 & 25, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Drop on in to MHC 123!
Have you ever had a ‘real’ interview? Have you had interviews and thought you didn’t do very well? Whether preparing for the Job & Internship Fair, or an On-campus Interview, or what you hope will be many interview opportunities in the next few months, this seminar will make you feel more confident because you’ll walk away knowing how to prepare and how to make a great impression.
What happened at the Job Fair Insider’s Tips Panel!
We were so excited to see more than 70 students show up for our employer and student advice panel about the upcoming Job & Internship Fair! Thanks to all who came!
The tips and advice offered up were wonderful. I’ll share just a few things here:
- Elevator Pitch:
- Be your authentic self and show some personality, too.
- Be able to explain your career interests.
- Research companies first before approaching recruiters – find something about them that resonates with you (their mission, purpose, services, benefits, sustainability practices, anything) and share that connection.
- Last, if talking to strangers about yourself doesn’t come easily, PRACTICE this introduction with friends and/or Career staff.
- Identify a list of 5-10 employers that interest you most and spend time with them.
- Ask recruiters about their organization’s culture; ask lots of questions and learn as much as you can about their career opportunities and what it’s like to work there.
- Biggest Benefits:
- Learn about a wide variety of employers and organizations (take notes about your conversations)
- Will help you learn what you want and what you don’t want.
- You’ll get more comfortable talking about yourself.
- You can get contact information for recruiters or hiring managers!
- “Have fun with it!”
We thank our panelists for their time and insights: Chloe Lewis (Senior, Business Communications student), Kate Errickson (MN Children’s Museum), Tracy Gabrelcik (City of Minneapolis), Raven Jones (Securian Financial), and Scott Stitsworth (Andersen Corporation)
You can view more advice through video clips – past Insider’s Tips panels and student advice, too. We’ll see you at the Fair!
The Career Development Center looks forward to assisting you with your career needs! Call 651-962-6761 or stop by Murray-Herrick Room 123 to schedule an appointment.