We’re Moving to Handshake!
On June 15th we will be transitioning from TommieCareers to Handshake for our services. As we begin the transition, please save/transfer any documents (resumes, cover letters, transcripts, etc.) you need from your TommieCareers accounts! On June 15th, those documents will no longer be accessible.
The Career Development Center is excited to announce that we have some new staff! Jill, Violeta and Luciano have joined our team over the past two months, and each of them has an area of specialization. We’re grateful to have them with us, and you can click here to read more about each of them!
Proud to Work
Metropolitan State University’s Career Center and Women’s and LGBT Center are partnering with Mossier to offer three career workshops in June focused on supporting LGBTQ+ students and alumni in preparation for the Proud to Work Career Fair on July 24th. Students and Alumni of St. Thomas are invited to attend! Each event is accessible via handshake. The first two events are:
- Navigating the Virtual Job Hunt: Thursday June 3 from 4:00 – 5:00 pm. Meet with local employers and learn about what job search is like in our virtual world. We will hear from Minnesota employers on virtual career fairs, how to stand out in an online job search and more. Bring your questions because this is your time to ask a recruiter whatever you have always wanted to know! Click here for more information and to join.
- Rainbow Alumni Panel: Thursday, June 10 from 4:00 – 5:00 pm. This event will feature a panel of LGBTQ+ alumni and professionals from a wide variety of disciplines and careers. Hear directly from Rainbow Alumni about how they navigated the twists and turns that come with building a career after graduation, especially as an LGBTQ+ person. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions, network with some amazing alumni, hear their perspectives, and learn from their experiences. Click here for more information and to join.
Meet with Employers!
- MN Broadcasters Association: May 18-20, 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. Sign up to attend one or more 25 minute session(s) during the MN Broadcasters Association’s Virtual Recruitment Fair! Participating Radio and TV stations from across the State of Minnesota will highlight current and future job opportunities and also speak/answer questions about careers in broadcasting. Click here for more details and to RSVP!
- AmeriCorps Vista: Wednesday May 19 from 1-2:00 pm. Sponsored by AmeriCorps, this event is open to anyone interested in learning more about AmeriCorps VISTA. They will share information about serving in the VISTA program, the benefits of serving, how to apply, and more. Please click here and select the date you wish to attend to pre-register.
It’s About Time
It’s About Time is a local organization whose mission is to help close the long-standing achievement gap in the Minneapolis community by breaking down the barriers for people of color in the tech. They are hosting two upcoming events:
- Career Orientation Event, Thursday May 20 from 7:00 – 8:30 pm. Please join It’s About Time and Siteimprove for an engaging 1.5-hour orientation event aiming to help professionals of color prepare for rewarding and high-paying jobs in tech. Click here to learn more and RSVP.
- Virtual Career Fair, Thursday June 10 from 7:00 – 8:30 pm. We are hosting our second virtual diversity job fair to connect tech employers with candidates of color in an effort to break down the barriers candidates face and improving diversity in companies workforce. Click here to learn more and RSVP.
We’ve recently updated our online resources for resume and cover letter writing, as well as interview preparation. There are new video tutorials for each topic, and they can be found on this page. Please review these resources before you decide to meet with a staff member – your questions may very well be answered in one of these short videos!
If you’re looking for summer employment or full-time permanent career positions, check out staffing agencies as a way to expand your options! If you’re not sure what staffing agencies do and how they work with job seeker, head on over to our Career Blog.
Need a Resume Review? Use JobScan and Head to Pop-Ins!
You’ll need your resume in tip-top shape for virtual fairs and your job and internship searches, and JobScan can help you do that! JobScan provides guidance in personalizing your documents for different positions and fields, and is invaluable in making your resume shine! You can get a FREE premium account with unlimited scans, valid through July 31! Click here to fill out a short form and request an account.
Once you’ve fine tuned your resume, virtual Pop-Ins are one of the best places to have your application documents reviewed! Our weekly pop-in hours are listed here. Click here and find the link at the top of the page to log on.
The Scoop Career Newsletter Summer Update
During the summer months, The Scoop will be sent less frequently. Please keep an eye on your inbox for special editions! And know that you can always keep up with Career Development Center happenings year-round on our website and Handshake! Happy summer!
Exciting Changes are Coming…
If you walk by our space in Murray-Herrick 123, you may notice we’re under construction! Due to the construction, all career services are virtual through the end of the semester. Please visit our website for all your career services needs!