Networking seem scary and daunting? Connections Month will make it easier! Starting the first week in March, students and alumni who register for this new Tommie network initiative will be introduced to a new connection each week. Pairs are free to chat about anything, but we’ll provide some topics along the way. You can join in on the fun anytime during March. New connections will be formed each Wednesday. Pairs can chat about career discernment, resume help, and so much more. Each connection you make will also enter you into fun drawings for UST swag throughout the month! Click here to learn more and join!
Juniors and Seniors: Wonder what you’re doing after graduation? Looking for a job or internship? Want to do something meaningful, while building important life skills?
Put your St. Thomas education, experience and values to work for the common good! Most programs allow you to defer student loans, receive health insurance, and even earn money toward further education (or perhaps even a Master’s degree) while engaging in meaningful work with a community organization. At this first post-graduate job, you’ll gain invaluable professional responsibilities, experience and mentorship, while contributing something of value within our communities, and at a time of great need.
To learn more, attend the upcoming Post-Graduate Service (Virtual) Fair during the week of March 8th. The fair is sponsored by longtime UST partner CVN, which supports more than 185 domestic and global post-graduate programs. Click here to Register! (Input Coupon Code COMMOGOODUST4FREE and the Center for the Common Good will cover your registration fee!)
- Interviewing: Whether you’re interviewing virtually, by recorded interview, or safely in person, attend one of our “Interviews that Impress!” workshops to learn some key tips for leaving a positive impression at your interview! Join us on Tuesday, March 9 from 12:15 – 1:00 pm on Zoom.
- Getting Ready for Grad School: It is common to consider post-graduate education as a part of one’s life plans – but questions of when, where, what, how, and how much are often hard to discern. Applying to graduate programs can seem like a daunting process, and this session will help lay out some common timelines, recommendations, tips and suggestions for making the journey as smooth and successful as possible! This Zoom workshop is on Monday, March 15 from 12:00 – 12:45 pm.
- LinkedIn: To move your networking power forward, you need to use LinkedIn. In this workshop, we will review the elements that make an impressive LinkedIn Profile and will review the many ways to use LinkedIn to connect with professionals (including alumni), learn about careers, and find employment. Join us on Thursday, March 18 from 12:00 – 12:45 pm for this Zoom workshop.
- JobScan: 99% of Fortune 500 Companies and many more mid-sized companies use Applicant Tracking Systems as a scanning tool for applicant’s documents. ATS’s look for key words and phrases that indicate the candidate meets the necessary basic qualifications for the position. If your resume doesn’t pass the ATS, you probably won’t make it to an interview! In this workshop, we’ll teach you how to use JobScan to optimize your resumes as you apply for different positions. Join us on Monday, March 22nd from 12:00 – 12:30 pm.
- City of St. Paul: On Thursday, March 11 at 4:00 pm, learn about the City of Saint Paul’s hiring process and talk to a Human Resources team member to gain insight on how to make your application stand out! Attend one of the Elevate Information sessions! You will receive tips on how to navigate through our application system, learn about our hiring process, and discover the many careers available with us. This session is approximately 1.5 hours long and includes a presentation; please plan to join at the beginning of the session.
- True Media: For Seniors graduating in May 2021 and recent college graduates: True Media will host a virtual workshop for prospective interns on Friday, March 12th from 3:00-4:00pm. On this Zoom call, you’ll hear a brief panel discussion from some True Media team members about who we are as a company, and you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions – about the company in general, as well as the internship program. Go to this website and scroll down to “Want to Learn More?” to RSVP for this event!
The Office of Study Abroad & Career Development Center are excited to announce the launch of a new global online micro-internship program! Build a unique set of skills in an intercultural workplace, all from the comfort of your own home! Visit the Office of Study Abroad’s OneStThomas site for more information on current opportunities and how to apply!
Need a Resume Review? Head to March Pop-Ins!
You’ll need your resume in tip-top shape for virtual fairs and your job and internship searches this spring, and virtual Pop-Ins are one of the best places to have your application documents reviewed! Our weekly pop-in hours are listed here. Click here and find the link at the top of the page to log on.
Exciting Changes are Coming…
If you walk by our space in Murray-Herrick 123, you may notice we’re under construction! Due to the construction, all career services are virtual through the end of the semester. Please visit our website for all your career services needs!