Kate '18

Tommie Volunteers take on Operation Glass Slipper

Name it, and we have it! With over 150 clubs and organizations at St. Thomas, students are heavily involved on campus and provided with an abundance of opportunities to expand on educational and personal interests outside of the classroom. Striving to uphold strong catholic values and serve the community, clubs and organizations on campus hold numerous volunteer events aiming to better the local community and promote the common good for all.

As a member of the Women In Business Club, I have volunteered for the past two years for an incredible organization called Operation Glass Slipper. Founded in 2006, Operation Glass Slipper is a non-profit organization which has provided over 1,000 prom gowns and accessories free of charge to high school girls who do not have the financial means to purchase the expensive necessities required for this picturesque night. Hundreds of volunteers play the role of Fairy Godmothers, walking the girls through the entire prom shopping experience, outfitting them like a princess for their fairytale night. Looking back at my prom experience, I just remember how excited I was picking out my dress and getting ready for the big event, and I see this same enthusiasm matched in the eyes of the girls. It is incredible to serve as a Fairy Godmother and provide this opportunity for the Princesses, as they are so grateful and can barely contain their excitement for the upcoming prom.

Serving others is mutually rewarding, and I truly believe giving back to others is part of what it means to be a Tommie. Each year I look forward to volunteering at Operation Glass Slipper, and like so many other student volunteers at St. Thomas, we dedicate hundreds of hours each year striving to leave our mark on the local community and promoting the common good for all.