General Topics

Convergence of Social Justice and D&I

By Steve Humerickhouse, director

Martin Luther King Jr. Day always reminds me of how far we have come, but also how far we have to go. So much is so different for the better, but as long as some of us are oppressed we are all oppressed. As the Forum celebrates 25 years of conferences this April, we celebrate the changes we have seen and been a part of: inclusion and engagement as new watch words, finding and applying the ROI of diversity, the globalization of everything. But the focus of the 25th Forum is not on the past, rather the focus is on leadership for the next 25 years.

Dr. King spoke with the long view in mind—the arc of history bends toward justice. I dare say there is a convergence that is coming, that has been long needed, when diversity and inclusion, corporate social responsibility and social justice come together in a seamless continuum. When corporations realize that they benefit most when all of us benefit. When government and business come together with nonprofits in collaboration to solve society ills. That’s what I believe will be the next 25 years of leadership for diversity and inclusion. The Forum will do its part. Will you lead with us?