Diversity, Poster contest

2015 Diversity Poster Contest “Embrace Diversity”

2014DiversityPosterContestWinnersLooking for great poster contest entries for 2015! Here is the 2014 winning poster and description.

Raymond Nkwain Kindva – 1st Place

My poster is titled, Celebrate You…Because You are Diversity because it describes the influence of diversity on me. The poster contains two faces; my mother and I represented respectively by the woman on the left and the boy on the right. Both are looking up at the birds in the sky while the sun, represented by the words “Celebrate You…” radiates the sky and the horizon. This poster describes my feeling about diversity and why I wish to celebrate it.

My aim in designing this poster is to recognize the person who taught me to love my unique talents. This person is my mother – the woman on the left of the poster– who accepted me for who I am and has inspired me to accept others for who they are. She may not be the most educated person in the world but she taught me the power of believing in myself no matter how different I am. The words reflected on her face and mine are words I learned from her; words that did not mean anything to me when growing up. As a boy, I didn’t care much about my own differences but cared way more about how they fit to the world around me. That continued when I was a teenager as I tried to fit into every environment I was in. It led me to self-doubt myself whenever I did something that did not fit the type of environment I was in. Fortunately, my mother always stepped in to challenge my definition of being different and instilled the belief of using my differences to do something positive. My best quote of hers when I was in self-doubt is, “If Neil Armstrong believed we would never one day fly like birds, then he would not have been the first person to walk on the moon!” This quote has always inspired me to look at my uniqueness as a positive and one that could one day benefit the world.

For full detail visit- http://www.stthomas.edu/studentdiversity/2015diversitypostercontest/