Uncategorized

Cooking up a Team

The upcoming International Club Potluck next Tuesday, September 24, has got me thinking about recipes. What should I bring as my contribution? I love brownies, so I think that may be it.

A good brownie is like a good team. It’s composed of several ingredients, and none is more important than the others.

First, cocoa. By itself it is very bitter. You certainly wouldn’t want to eat it alone.

Next, sugar. Not too much – think of the calories – not too little or you won’t balance cocoa’s bitterness.

Then there’s the eggs. Whipped high so the brownies rise.

Butter. Without it you’d be making some kind of chocolate omelet.

And finally, flour. It gives substance to your brownies.

A set of ingredients, each very different than the other. Each absolutely essential to create a pan of brownies.  Of course teams aren’t brownies, but each team is composed of various members, each of whom brings something special. In the case of the brownies, you might think cocoa was the most important item, but without sugar, your brownie certainly wouldn’t taste very good. Without eggs, you’d have something lying flat in the pan. Without butter, without flour, it simply wouldn’t work!

Look around at the people in your team. Like the brownies, it would be hard to do without any of the ingredients.

Enjoy getting to know each other. Together you will create something you could never make alone.