Below are the current pre-course assignments.
*Please note that other assignments may be added at the discretion of our professors. It is your responsibility to check the blackboard site and read the syllabus for each class carefully to note any additional required readings or assignments that professors may have posted.
1. MGMT Communications Lab Pre-course assignment (Due at 9:00 p.m. first day of Launch – Monday, 8/26)
Read the article “What’s a Business For?” by Charles Handy
Read the article “The Social Responsibility of a Business is to Increase its Profits” by Milton Friedman
Complete a written assignment (Instructions can be found here). DUE THE FIRST DAY OF LAUNCH BY 9:00 P.M.
2. BEC 600 Pre-course assignment (due 9/4):
Contact Prof. Combs if you have any questions about the course or this assignment: firstname.lastname@example.org
Register for the Aplia Electronic Course:
1. Connect to: //www.aplia.com/
2. If you already have an account, sign in. Go to your My Courses page, and click the Enroll in a New Course button.
If you don’t have an account, click the Create a New Account button, and choose Student Account.
3. Enter your Course Key when prompted: RLMT-VNS5-FEMA. Continue to follow the on-screen instructions to access your course.
Payment Online: After registering, you can buy access to Aplia from the Aplia website (you can pay anytime within three weeks after registering)
For more information on registering for Aplia, please visit http://www.cengagebrain.com/shop/aplia.html.
1. On-line Pre-test (due 9/4)
- Complete the Introductory Practice Problem Set first
Complete the Interactive Tool Tutorial second
- Take the Pretest third – if you scored 90% or above, that completes your pre-course Aplia work.
- If your score is lower than 90%:
Complete relevant sections in the Math and Graphs Tutorial to improve your skills in your weaker areas.
Complete the Posttest. If you still score lower than 90%, consult Prof. Combs to discuss
If you are completing the online MBA Math course this summer, the Aplia Math and Graphs Tutorial may help you.
2. Reading and Case assignment for the first day of class (9/4)
- Textbook (Brickley, Smith, Zimmerman) Chapters 1 and 3 (no appendices)
- Case: Read Société Générale case at end of Chapter 1 in textbook. Be prepared to discuss all questions.
- Aplia: Complete Aplia practice problems due 9/4. Be prepared to discuss.
3. Read the course syllabus
4. If you are able, go to the Minnesota State Fair http://www.mnstatefair.org/! We will discuss the competitive soft drink market outside the fairgrounds as well as the monopolistic sweet corn market inside the fair.