Living the Word – Catholic Studies Blog
Catholic at UST

Living the Word

Justina Hausmann

Written by Justina Hausmann ’13, Neuroscience and Catholic Studies

When I transferred from DePaul University during my freshman year, I have to admit I had high expectations for the University of St. Thomas. I surely was not going to transfer again, so this just HAD to be good. While I did enjoy my first semester as a Tommie, I was hungry for more, for more Christ, for more community. I wanted to feel like this campus was mine. It was this hunger that led me to Catholic Studies.

This year, I was asked to join a Bible study through the group Living the Word: Scripture Studies, and I felt a strong tug on my heart to answer this call. My study is small; there are just four of us women. To me, it is perfect. On a Thursday night when one could choose to hit the parties and bars, my study women and I are huddled in a room seeking truth. The intimate conversations about the person of Christ and honest, prayerful approach are changing us and making us better women. Of all the communities I have ever been a part of, this is one of my favorites. It is a place where I know I can bring my questions, fears, and struggles, my joys, triumphs, and successes. It is a place of encouragement and inspiration.

Although I have only been a part of this Bible study and group for a few months, it has already had a profound impact on my character and my pursuit of truth. God is working in and through us in such remarkable ways with His word. I feel so blessed to be a part of this journey and this community.

If you are interested in getting involved in Living the Word: Scripture Studies, contact Abby Kowitz (kowi7214@stthomas.edu) or Daniel Clarke (clar7812@stthomas.edu) for more information.