Praying through Music – Catholic Studies Blog
Social Events

Praying through Music

Posted by Luke, UST Senior, Catholic Studies and Philosophy
I started playing the guitar a lot when I was about thirteen. I would just come home from school and play a bit and then go do something else. A big part of the reason I started playing was because I would get bored and it was something else to do. The first songs I learned, that were the most impactful, were the blues riff I played at the concert, minus the words, and the song “Dust in the wind.” Once I learned a bit about finger style playing I started developing my own style. It really wasn’t until the summer before my senior year that I started using the guitar as a way to pray. I have found playing for that reason to be much better.

I thought the concert last weekend (February 26th) was a lot of fun. I was preparing to be more nervous and unfocused than I was, but I really felt a calmness and peace come over me after the first song that I can only attribute to the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, the crowd of 450was a blast and I was very happy to see how easily they laughed, I think that also helped me relax. I am used to playing to crowds that don’t clap or make comments between songs, so that would have been fine too.