If you are going to the 2017 MN Private Colleges Job and Internship Fair in February, you should be preparing now! Here are some great upcoming events to help you get ready!
Plan to attend the following:
- Job Fair Insiders’ Tips on Tuesday, February 14th at noon in Woulfe Alumni Hall-ASC. A panel of employers and past student participants will share tips and insights about how to prepare for the fair and ways to make the fair a successful experience.
- Speed Networking with Alumni from 5:30-8:00 on Thursday, February 9th in Woulfe Alumni Hall. Make connections and be prepared for the spring job and internship fairs while practicing your “elevator speech” with St. Thomas alumni. Pre-registration is requested. To do so, please visit the Alumni Association’s webpage.
Your resume should be in the final draft stages and ready to send/post to employers. Refer to page 15 in your packet for ideas on resources available through our office to assist you with the development of your resume. When your resume is complete, post it on the www.mnpcfair.org website (see the Student Menu for the link) where employers attending the event will have access to your information and may contact you for an interview.
Student who have attended the fair in the past strongly recommend applying in advance. It really works! NOW is the time to research employers (refer to pages 13-14 in the “I’m Going to the Fair” packet) and apply directly to employers who are accepting resumes in advance of the Fair. Refer to page 15 in your packet for what to include in the letter to employers.
Listen to what a UST student who has participated in the Fair had to say about resumes and applying in advance of the Fair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXLMyaMKKFw&feature=youtube
Upcoming Seminars: (all held in 124 MHC)
- LinkedIn Parts I & II: Friday, January 20th at 12:00
- LinkedIn Part I (the basics): Monday January 23rd at 10am
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing: Thursday January 26th at 12:00 and January 30th at 11:00
- Effective Interviewing: Monday January 23rd, at 12:00
- Job Fair Success Tactics–
- Thursday January 12th at Noon
- Wednesday January 18th at Noon
- Thursday January 26th at 10:00am
Appointments and Pop-In hours are available throughout J-Term. Call 651-962-6761 for availability.
HAPPY NEW YEAR from the Career Development Center. The new year means new beginnings. The Job and Internship Fair will provide an opportunity to explore avenues for new internships and new jobs. During the next six weeks you will receive email suggestions on what you can do to prepare for the Fair. Students who have participated in past Fairs consistently note that preparing in advance increases their satisfaction and results.
Refer to the information packets:
- Job and Internship Fair Orientation packet – If you attended the live orientation session you should have a copy. If you viewed Blackboard or attended last year and just registered you will need a copy.
- “I’m Going to the Fair” packet – You should have received this packet when you registered. If you did not, the link takes you to a copy, or email email@example.com and give an address where the packet should be sent.
Download the app: MNPC Job Fair
Attend one of the live Job/Internship Fair Success Tactics sessions. Bring your “I’m Going to the Fair” packet to the session. Held in 124 MHC:
Thursday January 12th at Noon
Wednesday January 18th at Noon
Thursday January 26th at 10:00am
Make plans to attend one of the CDC’s seminars on resume writing or interviewing skills.
Our office is open throughout January. Call to schedule an appointment or for available daily pop-in hours.
As the official end of Finals is upon us (hooray!) we want to send you all a friendly reminder of how you can be using your Holiday Break wisely! (Besides eating cookies and watching Netflix…)
- Edit and update your resume. You can use our resume packet for guidance, and then schedule an appointment for a resume review when the Career Development Center opens again on January 3rd!
- Conduct informational interviews. If you’ve ever even wondered for a second what, exactly, Aunt Sally does as an Actuary, or how Grandpa Larry became a Lawyer, the holiday season is a great time to have those conversations! Not only will you learn a lot, but you’ll make the dinner table conversations a lot less awkward!
- Get ready for The Fair. If you’re not already registered for the 2017 Minnesota Private Colleges Job and Internship Fair, fear not, registration will re-open in January. While you’re relaxing, check out the fair website for the list of employers attending. Start making your “list” of employers you’d like to visit, and if any of them have open positions they’ll be hiring for at the fair, get your resume and cover letter ready to apply!
- Think about what you’re going to do next summer. While June may seem like a long way off, it’s never too early to think about how you’re going to spend your summer. From taking classes, to interning, studying abroad, volunteering or working, we can help you get a plan together. Start brainstorming now, and come see us in January!
We ARE open in January (and a lot less busy than when the semester starts in February!) so schedule an appointment or call for pop-in times, our number is (651)-962-6761!
Have a joyous holiday break!
Career Development Center