The Career Development Center hosted its annual Job Fair: Insider’s Tips Panel event yesterday. Employers representing different sectors and industries spoke, along with an experienced student fair-goer, providing terrifically valuable tips and advice about how to prepare for and ‘work’ a career fair. While all of these organizations attend the Minnesota Private Colleges Job & Internship Fair for undergraduate students, their information was applicable to any type of career fair.
We are ecstatic to have seen 97 students in the audience!! That means that you are taking seriously the preparation needed for the February 27 fair at the Minneapolis Convention Center. Fantastic!
Some select, hot tips include:
- Research companies/organizations in advance before you talk to them at the Fair . Learn what they do, determine why you are interested in them, and generally become familiar what kind of roles they have available.
- Know your strengths. Be able to articulate what skills/strengths and relevant experiences you offer.
- Practice your introduction/elevator pitch. You will be more effective and less nervous if you rehearse out loud your intro – use friends, family or career counselors to listen and give you feedback.
- Ask about follow-up communication. If you are really excited about a company and fear putting your resume into a black hole online, ask the person you speak with how and when and with whom you can follow-up on your application.
- Use the MN Private Colleges Job & Internship Fair website —post your resume there, if an employer says they are interviewing at the fair, send your resume & letter in advance of the fair to request an interview!
Career staff are so proud when we talk to employers at that fair and they sing the praises of University of St. Thomas students and their presentation skills. You make a great impression! Hopefully, you have availed yourself of all the resources we offer to help get ready for this fair:
- Orientation presentation (mandatory before registering for the Fair, last day to register for Fair is Feb. 21)
- Job Fair Success Tactics Seminar (in-depth preparation information – last one is Thursday, Feb. 22 at 12:00 p.m. in MHC 124.)
- Job Fair Insider’s Tips panel event (was Feb. 8)
- Career seminars on resumes and interviewing (on-going)
- Individual appointments and pop-in assistance in MHC 123
- Online resources on stthomas.edu/careerdevelopment
This is an opportunity to gather information about employers, and make personal connections. The positive impression you leave with employers has lasting effects – for you personally, and for the reputation of the University of St. Thomas. So, thank you for representing us so well! We’ll see you on February 27!