In reading hundreds of posted job descriptions, some are confusing, some are discouraging (qualifications out of reach), and some are unclear about the nature of the job. You want to create a description that is accurate, concise, and grabs the attention of a college student or recent graduate. Below are some things to keep in mind as you review your current position descriptions.
- Eliminate excessive industry/company jargon
- State in clear terms what responsibilities are part of the job
- Be clear about the competencies needed, e.g. note personal qualities helpful, or specific technical skills needed
- Describe your organization’s culture, e.g. competitive, driven, collaborative, team-focused
- Be realistic about Qualifications, remembering the limited amount of work experience held by college students.