If you have registered for the February 17th MN Private Colleges Job & Internship Fair, or if you’ve just checked out the website, I want to draw your attention to one of the options within the Students Menu, www.mnpcfair.org
Special Events – have you clicked on this yet? You should. We will offer three different break-out sessions during the Fair day, February 17.
- Science Careers Roundtable
- Consulting Careers Roundtable
Usually when students are in the midst of an internship or job search, family and friends ask, “What kind of work are you looking for?” Attending one of these events may move you closer to having an answer.
These are roundtable discussions, where you get to interact in small groups with professionals in these fields. You won’t be just stuck at one table either – you’ll get to move around and learn about many employers, career paths and be on the receiving end of valuable information and advice.
- International Alumni Roundtable
At this roundtable, international students will interact with private college international alumni, as they share their internship and job search tips and success stories.
New this year, will be an opportunity at the end of the day to informally network with employer representatives from the Fair.
So, look at the Special Events section of the Fair website. Take advantage of these opportunities to interact with recruiters and managers on a more personal level, and make a good impression – without standing in a line!
If you’ve not yet done so, please register BEFORE the deadline: THIS Thursday, February 11th by 4 pm. If you have never attended the Fair, you will need to go to one of the Job & Internship Fair Orientation sessions this week:
Have fun at the Fair!
The deadline to register or cancel your registration for the MN Private College Job & Internship Fair is THIS Thursday, February 11th by 4 pm. If you have not registered, see our website for details on registration requirements.
Meet More. Faster. Speed network (and practice your elevator pitch for the fair!) with more than 100 St. Thomas alumni this Thursday, February 11th from 6:30 to 8 pm. Registrations may still be accepted if spots are available for this event. See the website for more details and registration.
Employers will be interviewing students for full-time and summer 2016 internship positions through the On-Campus Interviewing program. To be considered for the interviews you must first attend an orientation. Application deadlines for some jobs and internships are as early as this week, so don’t delay!
Take a Tommie to Lunch offers students a chance to be paired with an alum in their field/major for a one-time meeting/informational interview. Register by February 29th.
Register on Tommie Careers to attend any of the following seminars & events. Also, look for employer information sessions, additional job fairs and other special events.
- Job & Internship Fair Orientation: Tuesday, February 9th at 12:30 pm, Wednesday, February 10th at 11 am, and Thursday, February 11th at 12:30 pm
- Resume & Cover Letter Writing: Monday, February 8th at 2 pm
- Job & Internship Fair Success Tactics: Wednesday, February 10th at 3 pm and Friday, February 12th at 11 am
- On-Campus Interviewing Orientation: Monday, February 8th at 11 am
- Interviewing Skills: Thursday, February 11th at 11:30 am
As you look ahead to attending the Job & Internship Fair on Wednesday, February 17th, take advantage of the following services offered by the Career Development Center, 123 MHC, 651-962-6761.
- Read our guidebook and other materials.
- “Pop-in” for a quick resume critique: call for daily hours.
- Post your resume for employers to access.
- Print copies on resume bond paper and customize for employers of interest.
- Use the Job & Internship Fair website: mnpcfair.org and/or download the app: MNPC Job Fair.
- Meet with a Reference Librarian to assist with your research.
- Read pages 13-14 in your “I’m Going to the Fair” packet.
- Create notes to bring to the fair or make notes in the app.
Prepare and practice your 30 second “Elevator Speech”
- Attend the Job Fair Success Tactics seminar: Bring your packet!
- Wednesday, February 10th at 3 pm in 124 MHC
- Read page 22 in your packet and write a “hook”.
- Watch employer advice on what to say.
- View the webinar if you can’t attend a live session
- Attend Speed Networking Event with Alumni: Meet More. Faster. Thursday, February 11th from 6:30 to 8 pm in Woulfe Alumni Hall. Over 100 alumni are registered for this event to assist students with Job Fair practice. Registration is due by February 7th.
- Access guidebooks, media and reports.
- Attend a seminar: Thursday, February 11th at 11:30 am in 124 MHC
Job Fair Insiders’ Tips: If you missed the panel discussion this past Thursday, view the 2015 panel presentation for advice from employers and students.
The last day to cancel your registration to receive a refund is Thursday, February 11th.
If you have missed the previous emails regarding fair preparation they can be found here.
Final details for the fair will be sent on Friday, February 12th. Be sure to check your email!