Whether faced with one or multiple job offers, you have many factors to consider when deciding whether to accept the job offered you.
The best place to begin is to identify your Work Values. What elements are Must-Have’s for you? Is it variety, knowing you are helping others, fast-paced environment, team-focused work? Career specialist staff have access to tools to help you assess your values if you can’t rattle them off. Make an appointment, call 651-962-6761.
Come to discuss all elements to consider at the Evaluating Job Offers & Negotiating Salary Seminar, Monday, October 24 at 11:00 a.m. in MHC 124. www.stthomas.edu/careerdevelopment/events
Essentially, break down all the elements:
- The job description – will you enjoy doing those tasks? Will it require you to use your best skills?
- The employer – is their industry of interest to you? Is this place financially stable? How do they treat their employees?
- Non-salary benefits – ultimately, the benefits that go along with an employer are more important than the salary being offered. Health insurance: include dental, vision, and mental health?
- Vacation/PTO/paid holidays – How many days are in the mix? This impacts your quality of life.
- Retirement investment plan – Do they provide one? How much does the employer put in? This will definitely impact your long-term future.
- Professional development & training – Will the employer pay to continue to train you in new skills? Is your interest in continuous learning and growth, supported?
- Personal – Geographic location? Is the commute doable or will you need to move? Will there be travel required? Are the hours manageable enough for you to have a personal life, too?
- Career Impact – Finally, where does this job lead you? Is it logical given your degree? Your interests? Does the organization have a fairly structured career path in terms of promotions? Will this job give you experience and skill sets that will add value, given your future ambitions?
Remember, this is just your first job, there will be more – but it will take you down a path, so you want it to be an attractive path!!