Are you coming up to the ‘OMG it’s the end of the year and I am graduating’ time?
Some reminders about things you can do to move your job search forward – a checklist:
- 1st things first, do you have job targets? Specific career fields, job functions, industries, sectors, employers of interest?
(Make an appointment with a career specialist if you can’t articulate any of these, call 651-962-6761)
2. Have your resume reviewed by a professional in the Career Development Center
(Call for an appointment or to learn about Pop-in Hours.)
3. Upload your resume in to the Career Development Center’s TommieCareers Resume Books
(Employers that are looking for candidates can find you there.)
4. Connect with relevant professional associations – join before you graduate, attend their events, check website for job listings
(See the Career Resources, Networking section within the Career Center’s website)
5. Identify staffing agencies that can place you in jobs – some focus on specialized careers, e.g. finance/accounting, IT/Engineering, creative, scientific, legal.
(Materials and lists can be found in the Career Development Resource Center, MHC 124)
6. If looking at posting sites, make sure you are viewing those with entry-level positions:
- Career Development Center’s Job Listings
- Within TommieCareers, Jobs, NACELink Network
- LinkedIn, www.linkedin.com/studentjobs
7. Make a list of employer-organizations of interest to you, research them, their Careers webpage, and network internally.
(The Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal regularly publishes lists of the largest organizations, covering many industries. See a Reference Librarian on campus for help researching this source.)
8. Expand your network through LinkedIn.com – Complete a Profile and learn how to connect!
(Career Center staff can help you with all of this!)
Remember, Career Center staff are here to help you hone in on effective job search strategies. We are open all summer and services are available to alumni. All the best to you!