Uncategorized

Reflections about STLF

Over spring break I chose to go on a service trip with an on-campus organization, Students Today Leaders Forever. It was honestly the best decision I could have made. Many BUSN200 students choose to fulfill their requirement through these service trips, but I would recommend the trip to anyone!
During the week we stopped in a different city every day to do a different service project. As a group we made blankets for Project Linus; helped out at an automobile museum; picked up a lot of trash; passed out fliers for the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society; and helped demo a house! The service projects were awesome and allowed everyone on the trip to use their strengths in different ways. For example, I helped a lot when we were making blankets because of my previous sewing experience. When we helped gut the house, other students had construction experience and really helped out there. It was great to see how everyone came together as a team to get things done! The service sites were so appreciative of our efforts, we are still hearing from them a week after the trip! 
The best part of the week was all of the people I got to know. St. Thomas typically has three buses from STLF go on service trips. My bus was unique this year in that it had half UST students and half Gustavus students. We really bonded as a team and got to become really good friends. I miss everyone from the trip so much! I had so much fun running around Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and DC with those guys.
If anyone is considering an STLF trip, I would wholeheartedly say that they should just go for it. As a senior, I went into the trip thinking that it was my last chance to do something like that, and I am glad I took that chance. I got to serve a variety of communities and people, and meet other like-minded students. I am so thankful for the experience I got to have and I wish I could go back!
Lauren Buchholz~Facilitator